Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Bringing in a mob

Innovation! Experimentation! I'm trying all sorts of new things lately- carrying a whacking great big camera on a farmbike (but not a whacking great big lens, sorry), adding groovy and annoyingly intrusive arrows and text, making a slideshow, and straight Blogging This rather than doing the Youtube thing (edited to add: unsuccessfully).



It's shearing time (onto the second week now), and here we're bringing in a smallish mob (~400, I think) from a nearby paddock. Three dogs was probably overkill, but I like to have at least one extra as a back-up, and I just felt sorry for Muddy because he's always so desperately keen, bless.

Queani does the mustering cast, because she's wide and will usually look around. Bill should have waited his turn but jumped the gun, so he had to stop and wait. He's sent next for support. Muddy was supposed to stay on the motorbike at all times but the pathetic whining got to me and I let him go and help at the end.

The sheep came all the way in to the yards with their resident Willie Wagtail, which I thought was quite cool. The extra-observant among you may be able to spot it in one of the photos (hint: look for the enormous orange arrow).

2 comments:

blackacre said...

I love working a big mob. Don't get to do it too often. Mad envy! Oh, and very artistic blog job there girl.

Sam said...

Thanks, A.