Thursday, November 20, 2008

Can I interest you in a little 'erb?


Joking aside, I've finally come around to the fact that I should let Basil go.
I don't really need another 3sheep type dog, and realistically I don't have time to train him. He's not getting the attention he deserves, and he's such a lovely dog that I'm feeling really guilty about it. Some dogs absolutely love the farm dog life, but while Basil doesn't seem to mind (he's never known anything else) I think he'd be so much happier as a family dog, or at least as someone's best mate.

Basil was born on 4th August 2007, so he's 15 months old.
He's a medium sized (probably 52cmish), long coated black and white border collie, who still has his nuts (although that will change). His mother is our Ivanhoe Sally (Paton's Blaze x Woady Yallock Floss), and his father is a farm dog from Narembeen (Mick). Basil's littermates mostly live in Perth (Kriszty Cumming's Secret, Karen Phillips' Sonic, Gillian Self's Billy and Dave Sebbes' Slipper).


Basil with his sisters, Sybil and Secret:




Basil is probably the most easy going of the litter- he's less barky and less cat obsessed anyway. He shares his siblings' complete disregard for personal safety, and I'm surprised he hasn't broken his neck running into a tree trunk yet. He is also a total cuddle-bunny, and will take any amount of tummy rubs and lap snuggles you can dish out. He walks well on lead, comes when he's called and is quiet in a crate, and he gets along well with all our other dogs, although he drives some of the others mad with bum-nipping when they run together.


Basil behind Secret:




and hitting on her- how could any chick resist that spunky tail?


We've started Basil on sheep, and he hits the head, breaks out wide and has a fairly natural stop. He is very biddable and tries really hard to get things right, and I'm sure he could do well for the right handler.



I'm not desperate to move Basil on, he's one of my favourite dogs around the place, but I really think he's wasted here. I'd love to see him go to a home where he'll get more one-on-one attention, so he can reach his full potential and be appreciated for the great little dog he is. So we're looking for a perfect permanent home for Basil- it might involve some sheepwork, some agility or obedience, but might be simply a pet home- as long as he's someone's mate first and foremost.







If you hear of anyone whose life is just missing some Basil, let me know. He's available to the right home for the cost of castration (sorry, Basil, but that's the deal).


No comments: